Monday, July 9, 2012

Arrival in Sydney


Monday July 9, 2012
Today marked the end of the first leg of our journey, and the beginning of the Sydney experience.  Cayla and I packed up, hopped in a taxi, and arrived at Cairns airport at 8:30 a.m.  Our flight went smoothly, and we befriended three young, rambunctious boys returning from holiday who were driving their mother crazy.  Christine Vosila and her daughter Rachel picked Cayla and me up from the airport.  They were waiting at baggage claim with a sign that had our names written on it.  We dropped Cayla off at the Bell’s house where she will be staying for the week before going to the Vosila’s home.
Christine, her husband Rick, and Rachel are so welcoming and excited to have me here.  They had welcome gifts waiting for me at the house, including Tim Tam chocolates and a stuffed koala.  I had lunch with Christine and Rachel, and then they drove me around Sydney and some of its suburbs, pointing out tourist destinations and local spots.  We stopped at Sydney’s famous Bondi Beach and went for a walk.  Surfers were in the water, runners on the boardwalk, and lots of happy dogs were playing in the sand.  We returned home, and I took a quick nap before dinner.  When Rick got home from work, we went to a Thai restaurant just a few blocks away and enjoyed a delicious meal.  
Christine and I at Bondi Beach
The Vosila's are involved in the local parish and support various charities.  They all have the travel bug and have been all over the world.  Rachel has done interesting immersion trips in South Africa and Japan.   Rachel is on winter break until next week, so in my free time she will take Cayla and me around Sydney.  She had great suggestions for places to visit and activities to do.  I’m looking forward to exploring all the things Sydney has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment