Thursday, August 16, 2012

Farewell Auki


Tuesday, August 14, 2012

It was an early morning wake up call for our departure.  I brought my bags into the living room before morning prayer.  Cayla and I shook hands with everyone after the service.  Richard gave me one of his drawings to be used for “Serengetee” fabric.  He’s an excellent artist and his work carries the flavor of the Solomons.  I’m excited to feature his work!  Phillip helped us get in touch with Liborio and joined our breakfast.  Soon we were in the truck and at the docks.  We arrived very early, so we got a good seat on the ship.  Ben, Ben’s nephew who is studying medicine in Cuba, and Father Julio traveled with us.  Fr. Julio was very entertaining. 

Liberio met us at the boat and gave Cayla and me our paintings.  Cayla’s is a picture of the chapel at Fanualama.  Mine has the image of a Solomon Island Mary and Jesus.  They are bright, colorful paintings with a distinct style.  It is quite a treasure.



Sr. Loretta, Sr. Matilda, and Agatha waited with us until the boat left.  It’s really hitting me now that we said goodbye.  The three of them are kind of people everyone loves to be around.  I will miss them so much.  When I hit lotto, I’m sending them plane tickets to America, and then I’ll return to Solomons with them forever.

The boat was hot, and the trip took six hours.  Luckily, the medication did the trick.  Cayla and I slept most of the way.  Sr. Maria and Sr. Mary Lewis met us in Honiara.  We drove to their home, Rosiena.  They have internet access at the house, so Cayla and I checked our emails.  They have fans in the bedrooms and a real bathroom.  I have no problem with the bucket shower, but water pressure from the shower head felt divine. We’re feeling very spoiled.  We had dinner together and got to watch a few clips of the Olympics.  I’m exhausted and looking forward to a comfortable sleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment